About the programme
The Master and Ph.D. programmes in Digital Heritage and Landscape Archaeology of the University of Cyprus are unique postgraduate programs in the area of the E. Mediterranean that offer a concrete interdisciplinary academic course platform dealing with the application of spatial technologies and GeoInformatics in the wider domain of Digital Humanities. The programs will act as an interface between New Technologies and the Humanities, exposing students to the latest spatial technological developments, providing hands-on training to different instrumentation and software, promoting a critical perspective of their application in terms of addressing archaeological- and historical- oriented questions and opening a dialogue between different disciplines.
The particular knowledge and skills will equip students to deal successfully with the existing challenging conditions of the competitive job market in the humanities and provide them with a solid base of knowledge to continue their research at an even more advanced level.
The Master and Ph.D programmes in Digital Heritage and Landscape Archaeology contest the mainstream of the traditional graduate studies in the Humanities and it is targeting the following objectives:
- Open a dialogue and create a concrete platform of collaboration between the technological and humanities disciplines.
- Develop a dynamic environment of theoretical and practical training of high-qualified students.
- Provide synergies between research, museums, academia, public and private agencies, where students will be able to apply their knowledge and carry out their research.
- Offer an international educational setting, where students and researchers will interact productively and enhance the level of the research.
- Create a new generation of Archaeologists and Historians that can deal with the current trends of geospatial technologies and geo-information systems.
Intended learning outcomes
Through the specific graduate program, students will be able to:
- Comprehend the relation between environment, climate, and anthropogenic activities of the past with an emphasis on the settlement patterns and the exploitation of environmental resources.
- Obtain state-of-the-art skills that can be used in both field campaigns and laboratory analysis of surface survey and excavation results.
- Understand how the different spatial analysis tools operate to address questions related to the habitation patterns and the intra- and inter-spatial distribution of finds.
- Acquire the knowledge of the creation of maps (distribution of finds, geophysical measurements, geological and topographic maps, environmental maps, etc.) and comprehend the different spatial statistic algorithms to analyze them.
- Familiarize themselves with the actual research questions and take a critical stand on the statistical and spatial statistical results.
- Obtain a practical hands-on training of software (GIS, network analysis, statistical analysis, mapping, etc.) and instrumentation/hardware (geophysical instruments, drones, cameras, GPS, etc.) that will make them competitive in their future profession (academia, cultural resources management, practical archaeology, etc.) and boost their career opportunities.
Prospective students must have completed an undergraduate degree in Archaeology, History, Anthropology, or other related fields of research (e.g. History of Art, Architecture, Geography, Geology, Topography, Environmental Sciences, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering).
Graduates of the University of Cyprus and Universities of Greece must have an undergraduate diploma with a cumulative grade of 6.5 or higher. The equivalent is required for graduates from other Universities.
The official language of the program (instruction and writing of assignments and the thesis) is English.
A number of tuition fee waiver scholarships will be granted to the best candidates according to the points earned in the course of admission.
In addition check also the 10th Scholarship Programme Sylvia Ioannou Foundation
The Master/Ph.D. programme in Digital Heritage and Landscape Archaeology of the University of Cyprus is strongly supported by the Sylvia Ioannou Foundation.
Get started today!
Fill in the form to request more information about tuition fees, course details and more.